Babies change so rapidly that it’s important to capture them throughout the year so you can compare the growth and fully enjoy every stage. You see them every day so you may not notice the small changes to your baby’s appearance. So, what are the best ages to photograph a baby? Generally speaking, there are five milestones in the first year – newborn, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 1 year. With that being said there is no hard rule about the best ages to photograph a baby.
- Newborn – the time between 7 to 10 days is ideal if you want a sleepy baby but up to three weeks work well for newborn photos.
- 3 months – they are awake more and may begin to lift their head. They recognize voices and can start following you with their eyes.
- 6 months – they may start sitting up on their own unsupported, possibly crawling. They begin interacting more by smiling, laughing, and babbling.
- 9 months – they are crawling, pulling themselves up, and possibly saying their first words “mama”, and “dadda”.
- 1 year – by this point they may very well be walking solo or at the very least they are active, into everything, and keeping you on your toes!!
What if my baby isn’t meeting these milestones?
Not to worry! Your baby is perfect where they are, and there is no need to stress over what they “should” be doing. That being said you have two options –
1. You can photograph them at these times wherever they are in their development (spoiler alert: you will love them and your photos no matter what!) or
2. You can delay a month to see where they are at that time. If you really want your baby sitting up for those 6-month photos and they aren’t, wait until 7 months. There is no hard and fast rule that says you can’t wait.
And in my experience, each baby is different and will go at its own pace. My third child, my baby boy, is behind on every one of these milestones. He’s so chill about everything that he’s behind and you know what, every milestone month has still been precious to me even if he isn’t where he “should be.”
I am working on a milestone program – if you’d like to be the first to know about this please sign up for my VIP email list.
March 20, 2022
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT